16 October 2006

Reality time-out !!!

As I helped my wife pack her armour(tennis outfit) and weapons(racquets) so she could head straight for the battlefield (USTA tennis match) from work; I was overwhelmed by a silly sense of importance. The kind an 8 yr old experiences when he is asked to hold his little brother's hand in the park. Humor me as I take a break from maturity and reality for a bit.

I realized, as I did that, a certain Junta distributed across the city was doing the same; deploying like sentinels set to engage in the evening. We carefully pack our equipment and leave it in the trunk or the backseat as we drive to work. We labor from 9-5 and wait for the sun to set so we may do what we were designed to do. Battle for supremacy of the 78 by 36 ft piece of land. If you have ever seen and enjoyed the movie "Fight Club" you will begin to understand the trip I am on right now. As Edward Norton says in the movie, "At the end nothing is solved but nothing really matters". It helps turn the volume down on the rest of our life and gives us a sense of purpose. A mirage that gives us direction. The tennis racquet personifies the steering wheel that lets us stay on course. This is our Fight Club, our sanctuary and only truly obsessed tennis players will understand me as I say this, our messiah in what would otherwise be a meandering, digressing, ordinary futile life.

Until the next blog, its back to reality.

No comments: