22 September 2006

Heroes or Traitors!

I cringe when I think Bhupathi's GloboSport endeavor might have cost him and India a couple of Grand-Slams. There is no questioning his dedication to Tennis in India, but I cant help feeling that Globosport took its share of time/attention and thereby had a say in the latter part of his career. Billie-Jean-King did tons for Women's tennis too, but after retirement. I guess the question is, Would you trade a potential Million$ company for another shot at a Grand-Slam? Its easy to argue its my life/my decision, but its also your duty to win laurels for your country when you can.

Lets widen the picture a little and include our famed cricketers too. It can be argued that an "after-career" life to secure, justifies these avocations. My stand is... as long as you can draw a line between your primary and parallel interests and not cross it, you are fine. But if thats true or not for our sportsmen, only their conscience can answer.

Reminds me of Ben Parker's famous line from Spider-Man, "With great power comes great responsibility"...Hmm...I hope our heroes aren't betraying us.

No comments: